Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation in Detroit
Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) is a minimally invasive procedure used to shrink benign thyroid nodules and reduce their adverse effects on your health. If you have a thyroid nodule that is enlarged, interferes with your ability to breathe or swallow, or is causing your thyroid to malfunction, RFA may be a viable treatment option.
With multiple doctors trained in the Henry Ford Healthcare System, Associated Endocrinologists offer RFA treatment for patients who meet the procedure criteria and are looking for a non-surgical method for thyroid nodule treatment.
Benefits of RFA
RFA is non-surgical, giving it many benefits over invasive thyroid surgery. These advantages include:
- Same-day, outpatient procedure that doesn’t require a hospital stay or time off work
- Little to no scarring due to minimal needle size
- Procedure is short, lasting less than one hour
- Does not affect healthy thyroid tissue, allowing thyroid hormone production to resume as normal without medication
- High success rate with a 50% to 80% nodule size reduction within one year
- Uses local anesthetic rather than general anesthesia
- Resume normal daily routine the day after the procedure
Who Qualifies for RFA Treatment?
To qualify for RFA treatment, you must have benign, non-cancerous thyroid nodules and have undergone the required number of FNA biopsies for your type of nodule. You may not be a good candidate for RFA treatment if you meet any of the following conditions:
- Have previously undergone thyroid surgery or iodine radiation therapy
- Wear an implantable defibrillator or pacemaker
- Have very small nodules
- Have had or suspect thyroid cancer
- Are pregnant
- Have severe heart disease
- Are taking anticoagulant medications
What Does the Procedure Entail?
The RFA procedure is simple and relatively pain-free. After an initial consultation, you will come into one of our locations for your procedure. You will lie flat on your back and be given a local anesthetic near your thyroid gland.
Your doctor will insert a thin needle into your thyroid gland, targeting the nodules you want to shrink. Using a precisely directed electric current, the needle will use heat to destroy the unhealthy tissue growth, thereby reducing the size of the thyroid nodule. After the procedure, you will be free to go home and resume normal activities.
Contact Associated Endocrinologists Today
To find out more about Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation, set up a consultation with Associated Endocrinologists today. We service Detroit and the surrounding areas. Our highly qualified and experienced doctors can determine if you are an eligible candidate and guide you through the RFA process.
Once completed, you should see a major reduction in the symptoms caused by your nodules and be able to get back to normal.